Code Compliance

Contact Information
Code Compliance
1055 South Grady Way
Floor 6 Renton, WA 98057
(425) 430-7373

About City of Renton Code Compliance

The City of Renton has adopted rules and regulations which are designed to ensure the City remains safe and attractive. Code Compliance’s goal is to ensure responsible, courteous and impartial enforcement.

Code Compliance operates reactively (by responding to reports from citizens) and proactively (by canvassing and addressing violations found throughout the City). Code Inspectors work with property owners to obtain compliance. While voluntary compliance is preferred, fines may be issued to property owners who do not work to correct violations. 

Learn more about:

Common violations and how to report

How to report

Express concerns online via Renton Responds or on our reporting message line at 425.430.7373. You will need to provide your:

  1. Your name and contact
  2. Address of concern (COR Maps)
  3. Clear description of your concern.

Please note that reporting a potential violation is a serious and legal matter. Reports and comments received are public record and subject to disclosure under the Public Records Act, RCW 42.56. Please do not share any information that you do not wish to be made public.

Common violation categories:

  • Building Permits - RMC 4-5-050 & 055 - Requirements for building permits.
  • Cargo Containers - RMC 4-5-130 - (Shipping Containers) are not allowed in the City.
  • Fences - RMC 4-4-040 - Requirements for height and placement of fences.
  • Garbage / Bulky Waste - RMC 8-1-4 - Locations and storage of bulky waste.
  • Outdoor Storage - RMC 4-5-130 (308) - Location and storage of materials outdoors.
  • Tent/Canopy Structures - RMC 4-5-130 (308.8) - Locations and structure allowances.
  • Vegetation - RMC 4-5-130 (302.4) & RMC 4-4-070 F - Height and growth requirements.
  • Vehicles - RMC 6-1-3 & 4-4-085 - Junk, commercial, quantity and parking locations.
  • Please view the Renton Municipal Code for unlisted concerns

Correcting a violation

If you have received any notice from Code Compliance, contact the inspector listed on the notice immediately to take action and prevent fines. Your inspector may be flexible with the timeline if you are voluntarily working to correct the violation. Our inspectors are:

Donna Locher - Lead Inspector [email protected] - 425.430.7438
Sheila Madsen - South Renton [email protected] - 425.430.7236
Jason Churchill - Central Renton [email protected] - 425.430.7235
Charleen Pleasance - South Renton [email protected] - 425.430.7256
Eric Petzold - North Renton [email protected] - 425-430-7277


Step 1. A Warning of Violation is issued after the violation is verified. You have 15 days to contact the City.
Step 2. Notice of Violation and Order to Correct may be issued if the property owner is unresponsive.
Fees are included and can accrue daily.
Step 3. If you feel the violation is in error, you may appeal a Notice of Violation within the time frame listed on the notice. A Hearing Examiner will review your case and issue a decision.


Send check or Money Order with a copy of the invoice to: City of Renton | Finance AR
1055 S Grady Way Floor 1
Renton, WA 98057
City Hall Finance Department 1055 S Grady Way Floor 1 Renton, WA 98057
Check or Money Order
Cash, VISA or Mastercard 
COR Online Billpay
Create an account
Use your mailed invoice information to make your payment 

Responding to a stop work order

When an inspector verifies that unpermitted work is being performed, a Stop Work Order is posted. Work is required to cease until proper permits are obtained.

The Stop Work order will list a Code Compliance Inspector’s contact information as well as the contact for the Building Division.

Permit Specialists - [email protected] or 425-430.7215

The Permit Specialists will help you navigate obtaining the proper permits for approved work. The Code Case will only be closed when the permit is finaled by a building inspector.

Additional Resources:

City of Renton (COR) maps

City of Renton Map Viewer (COR Maps) allows you to search for Renton-area information and includes aerial photos, property boundaries, location of utility services and more.

Construction hours

Construction hours in Renton vary based on the type of construction:

  • Road Crew/ Road Construction: Restricted hours are between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m., Monday through Friday. Work on Saturdays shall be restricted to the hours between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. No work shall be permitted on Sundays.
  • Commercial Construction Activities (Multi-Family, New Single Family and Other Nonresidential): Restricted hours are between 7 a.m. and 8 p.m., Monday through Friday. Work on Saturdays shall be restricted to the hours between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. No work shall be permitted on Sundays.
  • Residential Construction Activities (Single Family Remodel or Single Family Addition): Restricted to the hours between 7 a.m. and 10 p.m., Monday through Friday. Work on Saturdays and Sundays shall be restricted to the hours between 9 a.m. and 10 p.m.

Report concerns about construction noise online using Renton Responds.

Noise complaints

Complaints regarding excessive or disruptive noise should be reported to the Renton Police Department non-emergency line at the time of the complaint by calling 425-235-2121.

Adult Family Homes

If you wish to schedule an Adult Family Home Inspection, please apply for an Adult Family Home Permit on our permitting portal and follow the guidance provided.

Vehicles in the right of way

If you see a vehicle on the street parked illegally or for longer than 24 hours, you can report it to the Renton Police by calling: 425-235-2121 OR online using Renton Responds.

Animal concerns

The City has Codes regarding animals that are designed to keep animals and citizens safe and comfortable. Report concerns to Animal Control at: 425-235-2121 OR online at Renton Responds.

Business licenses

Generally, any business operating in, or engaging in business within the City of Renton limits will be required to obtain a business license. Visit Tax & Licensing for more information.

Obtaining a permit

Most permits can be obtained online on the permitting webpage or electronically by contacting our Permit Specialists at: [email protected]. For guidance, call: 425-430-7215.

What can I build on my property?

Contact the Planning Department for guidance at: [email protected] or 425-430-7294. You may also schedule a Virtual Appointment.

Non-emergency Renton Police Department

If you see something suspicious taking place - don’t wait, call 9-1-1 for emergencies or the Renton Police Department non-emergency line: 425-235-2121.

City of Renton | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2024 Civiclive. | Disclaimer