Frequently Asked Questions

What utility services does the city provide?

Addresses in the city limits of Renton are billed for water, sewer, surface water, and a pass through charge for King County sewer treatment.

All services may not be provided solely by the city but by a combination of local water districts, including the City of Renton. Bills are generated on the 30th of every month and due 25 days later. Call 425-430-6852 for addresses in the greater Renton area.

Garbage service is billed separately by Republic Services (206-777-6440) on a quarterly basis for residential customer and every month for non-residential properties.

Renton’s West Hill

Skyway and Bryn Mawr area: Skyway Water and Sewer206-772-1580

Seattle Public Utilities: 206-684-3000

Seattle City Light: 206-684-3000

Benson Hill, City Center & Renton Highlands, West of Duvall Avenue

Areas south of Petrovitsky: Soos Creek Water and Sewer: 253-630-9900

Areas north of Petrovitsky: City of Renton: 425-430-6852

Renton Highlands Area, East of Duvall Avenue

Water District 90: 425-255-9600

Gas and Electric Service

Puget Sound Energy888-225-5773 
Customer Service
TTY (hard of hearing/speech disorders): 800-962-9498 Telecommunications Relay Service: 866-831-5161 

When are utility bills mailed?

Utility bills are generated on the 30th of every month and mailed the next business day. Payments are due 25 days later. There is a 20 day grace period before a 10% late charged is added to the account.

If you would like to receive your bill immediately, please register your account on the city's billing management website.

What happens if payment is late?

On the 46th day from the billing date, a 10% penalty will be charged to the account. A late notice will be sent to you 10 days prior to your water being disconnected allowing time to call the city to make arrangements to pay the bill.

If the account remains unpaid, a $60 fee will be added to the account and the water service will be disconnected at the water meter.

How is service restored if water is shut off for non payment?

To have service restored, the account balance must be paid in full with cash or guaranteed funds. Check payments will not be accepted for service that is disconnected.

The city offers electronic payment options via the phone payment system at 844-791-1505 or on the city's payment page. There are no pay stations available outside of city hall. In person payments are accepted at city hall in the first floor finance office located at 1055 S Grady Way.

If service is restored after 3 pm, an additional $90 after hours fee will be charged to the account. Accounts that continue to be delinquent may have a lien filed against the property.

How often are water meters read?

Over the last several years, the city's meter technicians have replaced all of the water meters with new meters that electronically transmit current readings throughout the day.

This technology allows city staff to monitor water usage daily, get current readings for monthly utility bills, and to notify customers more quickly if the meter is showing constant water usage that could indicate a possible leak.

How is a monthly bill determined?

There is a monthly base rate for water, sewer, and surface water charges for homes serviced by the City of Renton. The base rate for the water depends on the size of the water line that services the home.

For usage, that would depend on the water usage habits. Since every household is different, this amount is difficult to predict.

As a baseline, it has been shown that the average person will use three units of water per month. If there are four people in the home, that household should have approximately 12 units of water used in a month's billing cycle. Again, that is an average. Each household is different and may use more or less water. Usage will also fluctuate depending on watering and irrigation systems.

The utility rate brochure has information for services and water consumption. Updated rate information is mailed out in December.

If the water is turned off why, is there still a monthly charge?

A minimum charges is incurred for all properties that have a connection to the water, sewer, or storm drain infrastructure. The only way to stop billing for those services is to have the pipes removed and/or return the property to its natural landscaping.

Does the city have electronic or automatic payment options available?

Yes. Payments can be made online or by phone with an electronic check, Visa, or MasterCard.

To pay on-line you will need to register the 9 digit utility account number and have a valid email address. Autopay is also an option on this site.  Call 800-430-1669 to pay by phone. Have the user id and password printed on the utility billing statement to access.

The city also offers a direct debit option. Complete a Direct Debit Application, attach a voided check and send to the City of Renton Utility billing office to set up this service. Payments are deducted from the checking or savings account on the bill's due date.

What about curbside garbage and recycling service?

City of Renton has a contract with Republic Services to provide garbage service for homes in the City limits of Renton.

Republic Services provide homeowners with garbage, recycling, and organic (food/yard) waste containers. Garbage containers are available in sizes ranging from a compact 20 gallon size up to a large 96 gallon cart. New containers should be delivered within 7 business days of ordering.

Organic waste is picked up weekly and garbage and recycling is on an every other week schedule. For questions about pick up day, billing, charges for extras, replacements for damaged carts, or to change service level contact Republic Services at 206-777-6640.

Republic Service has a Customer Service Office:

  • 212 Wells Ave South, Suite #104, Renton, WA 98057
  • Monday - Friday (7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m.) and Saturday (8 a.m. to 12 p.m. )

The office accepts credit card and check payments in person. Container samples are available for viewing.   

Republic Services Office

Can service be suspended?

Yes. Water service turned off temporarily if out of town for an extended period of time. There is a $60.00 fee for city staff to turn the water off at the meter. This will stop sewer charges from posting to the bill, however billing will continue for surface water and the base rate for the water meter.

If the water service is disconnected for non-payment, all utility rates will be charged monthly.

Does an on-line login stay with a homeowner if they move?

Yes.Login to the account, select the profile tab, scroll down to the ‘Your Accounts’ section and click the ’Add more accounts’ link to add the new account number.

Ensure the new account number is the default customer and then remove the old account number.

Can credit card information be updated?

Credit card information is entered and saved on the bill management page. To update information:

  • Log onto the bill management page
  • Click on the PROFILE tab and updated your information in the system. Changes in auto-payment may not be reflected until the next bill in the cycle.

The customer service office does not have access to payment information saved on the website.

Does the City offer reduced utility rates?

Yes. The city offers a reduced utility rate to income qualifying senior citizens 61 years or age or older, with a maximum income of $58,423 per year.

The discount is also available to permanently disabled citizens that meet the income and documentation guidelines. Complete a Reduce Rate Application and submit with the required verifying documentation to the utility billing office for approval.

Where can I get utility payment assistance?

If you are in need of assistance, please call 2-1-1 for theInformation and Referral service for King County residents.

What if there is a leak. Does the city repair it?

City staff will not repair leaks on private property. Any leak in the water lines from the water meter to the house is the responsibility of the property owner. If the leak is at the water meter or on the street side of the water meter, a city staff member will repair the leak and request a billing adjustment if warranted.

If there is a leak in the service line from the water meter to the building, a partial bill adjustment may be available.

The Leak Adjustment request form must be submitted along with proof of repair. A leak adjustment will be granted once every five years to customers who provide proof of a qualifying leak.

There are no billing adjustments for leaks that occur in an irrigation system.

How can a leaking toilet or faucet be fixed?

A running toilet can waste hundreds of gallons of water per day and cost hundreds of dollars if the leak is not fixed.

Can the city send a utility bill to a tenant?

Yes. Complete a Tenant Billing form and the tenant will receive an original statement.
Please note that all residential properties are required to have a rental permit. You can apply for a permit with the Rental Registration Program.

If the bill is not paid by the due date, a past due notice will be sent to the tenant and to the property owner.

Landloads can provide a tenant with the utility account number and the tenant can set up on-line access on the city's Account Management page.

Keep in mind that the account stays in the property owners name and all outstanding balances are the responsibility of the property owner. The city does not calculate final bills for rental properties. A per diem is provided on utility bills so owners can easily calculate final charges for tenants.

There is a $5.00 fee to set up a tenant billing and a new form is required for each new tenant. Tenant billing forms are required to be notarized if you are mailing or faxing them to the city. Forms can also be turned in in person at city hall, 1055 S. Grady Way. A picture ID is required if the form is not notarized.

Utility accounts that continue to be delinquent will be transferred back to the property owner and the delinquent tenant will be removed from the account.

What is the Surface Water Management charge?

Surface water utility rates are used to pay for the cost to manage surface water runoff throughout the city. The surface water utility manages the quantity and quality of the city's storm and surface water runoff to protect people, property, and environmental resources. The surface water utility rates are used for the operation, maintenance, and capital improvement programs associated with the management of the 182 miles of publicly owned storm system in the city, which benefits all rate payers.

For questions regarding a specific storm drain or catch basin that may be in need of repair, contact the maintenance department at 425-430-7400.

Why do I get a bill from King County for a sewer capacity charge?

The wastewater charges on your Renton utility bill are for the maintenance of the sewer lines within the City of Renton and for the sewage treatment at theKing County sewage treatment plant.

The King County sewage treatment capacity charge is a charge in addition to sewer service billed to those customers who connected to the sanitary sewage system on or after February 1, 1990, and is billed directly by the King County Wastewater Division.

The capacity charge distributes the costs for this expanding infrastructure to customers with the newest sewer connections. In other words, the capacity charge helps make sure that “growth pays for growth.”

City of Renton | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2024 Civiclive. | Disclaimer